Last night, I made the Blueberry Almond Bars on page 142 of WWCAH. They make up quickly and easily, even for those of us who had no almonds in the pantry (do I sense a recurring theme here?) and used ground hazelnuts instead. I used frozen berries and they worked just fine. Mind you, I have a client who grows what must be the best spray free blueberries in the world so that adds to the quality of the experience. The bars are quite soft when just cooled but they firm up nicely overnight.
These are very a great variation on the old blueberry bar theme. There is almond extract added to the blueberry filling and this is a great flavour addition. It elevates the bars from pedestrian to special.
My only criticism of this recipe is that I think there is far too much sugar in the filling. The recipe calls for 3/4 cup. I think i/4 or possibly less would be just fine. Otherwise, this is a quick, tasty recipe and if you have blueberries in the freezer, you could whip this up quickly for an unexpected baking emergency.
No comments:
Post a Comment