Tonight's kitchen mess making project was the Mango Chutney from WWC, page 92. I love this chutney and have made it many times. The handwritten notes beside my recipe are as follows:
"This makes the whole house smell wonderful when its cooking. Seems a bit acerbic at first but once the flavours blend, its delicious."
This truly is a winner in the chutney department. I always substitute dried cranberries for raisins because I like them better and I also like the visual of the bits of red in the orangey coloured chutney. I once bought a bag of frozen mango chunks at the recommendation of a friend (no one on this Blog, thank goodness) and really didn't like them for just out of hand eating but they worked fine in this recipe. I use fresh mango but wanted to add that as I think the frozen chunks come on sale at a good price and they really are just fine for this. The chutney tastes great when freshly made but even better after it has had time to think for a day or two.
I like to add a good wodge of this stuff to curry as I like the contrast of hot and heat with cool and sweet. I think it would be very good if you whirled this into a smooth paste in the blender and then spread it thinly on top of crackers and topped that with thinly sliced aged cheddar or better yet, if you can find it, Stilton, and downed the whole mess with a very cold glass of crisp white wine. Nummy!
No comments:
Post a Comment