Tuesday, January 12, 2010

So I have started making recipes from Whitewater cooks, Whitewater cooks at home and
the Reebar cookbook, Have to check spelling on that cookbook name.
My latest venture was the Black Bean Vegetarian Chili dish from the first
Whitewater cooks.
It serves 12 hungry skiers, which I do not have at my home,so
I downsized the recipe a bit and modified.Yes,I can Hear Allison;s
Mom's comment about how I ruined it. (nice language here)
I have to say I was scared by the quarter cup of chili powder it called for
I added my jalapeno, (not for long) and my chiptole in adobe sauce plus all
the basil ,etc. I then discovered I was out of chili powder, LOL
Got all the exotic spices at Granville island and do not have
the staples at home. I used some dried chili flakes , just a sprinkle
Well it tasted great, a bit spicy for my mild crew.
Addition of sour cream is a standard for Bob and the girls to cool things
down. Can;t complain,as they eat it and go for seconds.
Now I need to tell you my history of my chili powder fear, it has a
basis in real cooking experience.
I made my Mom;s chili when I was newly married, mixed up the measurement
and maybe used cayenne pepper by mistake, Well the huge stock pot of chili
that would have lasted us weeks( was going to be frozen) had to buried in the black yard by the big old tree. I worried it would injury the tree.
Now having said that I love Thai curry and have eaten some Indian curry from
friends plus some spicy dishes from Allison. So i am wiling to experience new tastes.
So the question is do you think that chili would have been really hot if made like the recipe.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for documenting our adventure! With the past week's activities I have not yet cooked but will enjoy reading what you have done.
    Congratulations - this seems to work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lost my favourite black bean chili recipe so I will take this on and do it as per the recipe - just once!!! Better get those beans soaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hot food and I would NEVER put 1/4c chili powder in that recipe. I think it would just plain be three alarm chili.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to know I am not the only one who thinks that amt of chili powder was insane.

    ReplyDelete